ILC GDE Director's Updates
[ Director's Updates Archive ]
GDE Executive Committee Teleconference
9 February 2006
Present: Barish, Dugan, Foster, Takasaki, Walker, Yokoya, Hronek (sec.), Kuchler (by invitation for first 30 minutes)
Conventional Facilities and Siting (V. Kuchler)
VK gave an overview of the current status and plans for the CF&S group.
Download Overview (ppt)
- VK noted that the WBS being produced by the DCB was somewhat 'orthogonal' to the normal approach taken by CF&S; namely the WBS is primarily arranged by sub-system (geographically). P. Garbincius has informed the CF&S group that the WBS can be 'rolled up' in any way required..
- VK reported that the CF&S group has a great deal of historical information available (TESLA TDR, US Options Study), and they are intending to make as much use of this resources as possible. VK noted that clearly several parts will require 'updating'.
- The CF&S groups will divide their WBS into three parts and divide the work to be done across the regions. The costs developed will then be 'harmonized'.
- There is discussion concerning the 'required area of campus buildings'. VK suggested that they would probably take a 'rough guideline' of 750,000 sq. ft. (as in the US options study), but clearly this depended a lot on the site (one near an existing facility could make use of the local infrastructure).
- VK noted that the near-term milestones (slide 4) were very ambitious (optimistic); however the CF&S groups intends to try its best to keep them.
- The CF&S group has requested a 'working session' at Bangalore “to Establish Avenues of Communication with the Various Area System Groups”. (see comments below in closed session).
- VK clarified a question concerning construction time by saying that the civil construction could easily be achieved within eight years, and it is expected to be much less.
- VK was asked how the local costs of CE will be taken into account. VK answered that it was understood that regional (including geological) difference for tunnel costs must be factored in at the global review stage. As an additional example of a regional difference, VK noted on-going discussions on the possibility of having 'horizontal access' to potential sites along mountains (CERN, Japan).
EC Closed Session
Public minutes from 2/02/06
The public minutes were accepted by the EC..
US ILC budget news
The President's Budget for 2007 has effectively doubling of the U.S. ILC funding from 30M$ to 60M$. Some of these additional funds are associated with ILC detector R&D at universities and national labs, and with preparing the bid to host. All agreed that this was an extremely positive development, and the hope is that it will stimulate similar increases in funding in the other two regions.
Electron source Area Leader
All agreed that Pavel Logatchev (BINP) should be invited to act as electron source co-leader.
Statement on safety for Bangalore
It was noted that there is now an official statement on safety for the Bangalore meeting
The minutes of the last organizers meetings was circulated and it was suggested that the EC generate a sketch of the required sessions for the GDE part of the meeting and communicate this to the local organizer (Shane Koscielniak) by the end of February..
It was agreed that the following EC members would act as liaisons: TR for the DCB; KY for the GRDB; NW for the CCB.
CERN strategy meeting
A brief report on the recent two-day CERN EPP strategy meeting held at Orsay noted that the discussions were open, useful and positive.
FALC Resource Board Meeting
The FALC resource board has requested a breakdown of ILC resources across the regions by next FALC meeting. This means the resource reports need to be submitted shortly after Bangalore. It was suggested having them finished just before Bangalore so that we could review them on (say) the 8 th before the meeting.
It was announced that Ferdi Willeke (DESY) will chair the new ILCSC
Technical Coordinator for Cavity Package
Hasan Padamsee can no longer participate as Cavity Package Tech. Group coordinator for the US. John Mammosser from JLAB was proposed as a replacement. All agreed. [He has now accepted]
Proposal to DoE SciDAC2 program
The SciDAC2 collaboration has requested an 'ILC representative' to act as advisor for their proposal..
Next meeting was tentatively scheduled for Wednesday 15th.