ILC GDE Director's Updates
[ Director's Updates Archive ]
GDE Executive Committee Teleconference
5 April 2006
Present: B. Barish, G. Dugan, N. Walker, K. Yokoya, T. Raubenheimer, B. Foster, M. Hronek (sec)
Guest – NoneMeeting at FNAL – no action items, roundtable discussion
Brian – Trip to Russia
- How can we get the Russians more involved in the GDE?
- Visited most of the major Russian labs
- Budker Inst. – A. Skrinsky is supportive and P. Logatchev will be the contact person
- Protvino – lots of people,
- Ivanov agreed to be the contact person
- Magnet Design and vacuum an option
- INR – already working on positron source and several other areas; keen to get more involved also possibly in vacuum and rf engineering. L.Kravchuk will be the contact person.
- Dubna – also lots of people
- Map of ILC at Dubna was shown, plans were substantial –
- Special Economic Zone has been established and means that Dubna region will be developed.
- Sissakian – has discussed the ILC and Dubna’s plans with the Russian Minister for Education
- G. Shirkov will be the contact person
Tor - RDR contacts
- Rob Appleby has requested some guidance on scope, and a US contact name.
- Tom Markiewicz was asked to be Dumps and Collimators US contact
Barry – EDMS
- Tom M. made presentation at Bangalore and asked for EC guidance
- Recommendation of CERN system together with DESY TEAMCENTER solution for 3D cad system
- System support is an issue: CERN wants single-lab integrated package which is on its to-do list. Will perform study over the next two months to evaluate scope and resource needs (but no promise).
- Homework to be done on the DESY/CERN issue before inviting Tom M. to an EC meeting.
- BB to TR – let Tom know we are not ignoring the problem, when we have more info we will invite Tom to the EC meeting.
Barry – Cost Strategy /Information
- We need clear guidelines enforced by the EC for who sees the numbers and how they can be used.
- What will we have by Vancouver? EU cost estimate (for ML) based on re-scaling TDR numbers and including recent XFEL experience. (XFEL numbers will not be directly available to the GDE – consequences too complicated). Some input (but not final) from US industrial study and from US in-lab estimates.
- Discussion: w/Willhelm (meeting at DESY,lots and lots of discussion........)
- XFEL costs and TESLA costs.
- Transfer XFEL costs to ILC
- Conclusion – TESLA costs will be reviewed w/XFEL cost estimate, TESLA/XFEL cost estimate to be used by EGDE for ILC cost estimate
- Agreed to a total cost estimate given to the GDE, no cost will be available /restricted access
Tor – Speakers Bureau
- Assigned talks
- Organization needed
- Max to keep records
- Website availability
- Guidelines for talk – high level w/few members when asked to give talks