ILC GDE Director's Updates
[ Director's Updates Archive ]
GDE Executive Committee: Public Meeting Minutes
8 June 2006
Present: B. Barish, G. Dugan, B. Foster, T. Raubenheimer, K. Yokoya, M. Hronek (sec)
Absent: N. Walker, M. Nozaki
Guest: Bill Willis
Open Session – RDB report - part 2
Task Force S2
H. Padamsee (chair)
T. Himel (co-chair)
Kephart, Hayano, Toge, Ouichi, Weise
Consultants - Nagaitsev, Solyak, Lilje, Ross, Schulte
- To define and coordinate the work toward achieving what was called by Loew Report - milestone R2 –cryomodules
- Charge: The definition of milestone R2 need to be redefined by the GDE, as well as a plan and a timeline.
- Full scope of these tests will need to established and accepted soon … what will be needed for final construction approval.
- Controversial issue – should there be a test linac? T. Himel working with Hasan on the issue.
- Hasan’s proposal – 3 stages
- Answer R2 issues in TRC report.
- Determine the number of RF units
- Define a plan to realize the desired number of RF units
- Determine if the test linac need to be assembled from the RF units
- Task force should be able to submit their report in a matter of weeks. Report will have proposal to proceed, membership, scope and timescale.
- May need answers from the EC on the complex questions (project strategy)
Status of Task Force S1
- Recent meeting took place at FNAL at the invitation of Young Kee Kim.
- Membership of the task force has been defined and will submit a report to the EC on S0 and S1
Status of Task Force S3 (Damping Rings)
- Andy Wolski is chair and will present a plan to the RDB 09-JUN-06
- Discussion Question - Org chart was shown; how does it work with the GDE and does it have regional balance?
- Public Meeting Minutes – 24 hours for revisions then Max will proceed to post
- Barry looking for input on sensitive items that may not need to public.
- MAC Meeting: meeting to be held on KEK, 20-22 SEP 06. We need closer communication with the MAC in determining the dates and locations for these meetings.
- EDMS: There was to be a decision on May 31 st. We are waiting on a report. Will try and touch base with Tom M.
- RDR Mgmt Meeting
- Damping Ring connection to the tech systems
- DR (Andy Wolski) to join the RDR mgmt meeting next week 14-JUN-06
- Who speaks for the DR’s
- How is the interaction with CFS – are there appropriate channels? They need a single point of contact.
- Magnets – 16,000 (that’s a lot of magnets)
- Conceptual design being done
- Round of iteration needed between BDS and magnets, for example, the 2 mr beam appears very problematic
- This issue should be pursued by the RDR mgmt.
- MAC point by Point
- Responses are coming in and being read
- We will need this document by the Moscow meeting of the ILCSC
- We could fine tune in Vancouver, but it would be better if we finished it and had done before so we can focus on the matters at hand.
- Vancouver Meeting
- Guidance has been written and will be sent out to the tech and area systems for the discussions in plenary and parallel sessions
- This document will be sent out on behalf of the RDR mgmt team
- WIFI issue
- Convinced it can be handled but will cost money
- Cost to be absorbed in the registration fee
- FALC meeting will be held the day after the workshop ends
- China Meeting
- 5-7 Feb -- Beijing
- Formal request sent to Prof. Chen
- Nozaki to be the point of contact for the meeting
- LCWS 07
- June time frame
- Need to identify possible conflicts
- Costs and confidentiality
- The next EC meeting without a guest should be designated to discuss how we are going to proceed with confidentiality issues
- At VLCW, the 3 cost engineers and BB will dedicate their time to meeting with all systems and groups
- How to involve the EC as a whole? We must talk before Friday when final comments are put together for the report
- Do we meet everyday for lunch to discuss issues that have come up?
- Thursday breakfast or early meeting to get a checkpoint is preferred and we will investigate the logistics
- Meetings before and after the workshop:
- Before: DCB, CFS, RDB and Communications Workshop on Tuesday
- After: DCB
Next Weeks meeting will be Thursday, June 15 and Nobu Toge will be our guest to discuss the future of the CCB.