ILC GDE Director's Updates
[ Director's Updates Archive ]
GDE Executive Committee: Public Meeting Minutes
6 July 2006
Present: B. Barish, G. Dugan, N. Walker, K. Yokoya, M. Hronek (sec)
Absent: B. Foster, T. Raubenheimer, M. Nozaki
Guests: W. Bialowans, P. Garbincius, T. Shidara
Confidentiality and Guidelines:
- Schedule of meetings is available, being entered on the Indico site by Max
- Meetings are parallel with other sessions
- We would like to quickly go thru info with each group (19 groups in all)
- Some do not have costs, some are large costs (ex – CF&S)
- Sessions to be 15 minutes , but longer sessions are needed for a few groups
- Some of the questions that are coming up are more physics related but they do impact costs (e+ source)
- Follow-up time is available if needed and the rest of the time will used for cost prep
– There is a fair amount of need for immediate guidance for these groups. How do we insure that the EC is kept informed? We need to keep close record of guidance given - we don’t want surprises for the EC.
– Little info has been received; projections are being made right now. Where will we be once in Vancouver? The questions we have now may be different once we get to Vancouver.
– We need to identify the costly items. Notes are essential for information being given out leaders.
– Record should be kept of suggestions/advice for EC review.
– Proposals and suggestions should have EC approval. We need to badger more for the numbers. Only a small group has turned anything into the cost engineers.
Summary of Wednesday meeting with CF&S
- CF&S gave 3 estimates. Came with 3 costs to compare and the rest were divided. How do we go about reviewing these numbers?
- How do we vet this issue?
- How much review?
- What are the big cost drivers
- Is it possible to compare these items with TESLA or XFEL? PG said this had been done and there were huge differences.
- How will we get these checked and clarified? Do we do cross regional checks.
- How do we check these numbers selectively (ones with significant costs)
- Who do we get involved?
- Internal CF&S reviews
- We need internal confidence on our costing and the DCB needs to review, within confidentiality limitations?
- - We need independent cost reviews, selectively.
- - DCB could structure a process, flag areas for independent analysis
- What guidance do we give for talks and parallel sessions?
- We need to put version numbers and dates on our procedures
- When will this be available for circulation?
- General strategy:
- Give guidance
- We don’t want to get trapped by #’s in the ANY document form that may be circulated or posted
- Details of costs will be closed sessions
- Impossible to be stringent but we need to instill a new attitude of confidentiality among the GDE
- We don’t want to stifle but people should not be involved unless they have something substantial to add.
- What are our goals? What are we trying to protect?
- We don’t want interference with our jobs
- Some of these numbers are not our own.
- Guidelines will be distributed to CE’s and we will finalize in the next few days.
- This document is for Vancouver only.
- Lutz will get feed back from the charge
- A thorough document was supplied from Lutz, please look over for important points, we should send to Lutz by Friday.
- S2 group next week – yes.
- Meeting will be 4 days instead of 3 and will be from 4-7 February
MAC Report Response
- We will finalized this be next week to have it off the table by Vancouver
Meeting was to be held on July 4. Nick will follow up for next week.